Cranberry Juice for UTI in Males: Efficacy, Side effects, and More.
Our content is not intended nor recommended as a substitute for medical advice by your doctor. Use for informational purposes only.
Cranberry juice is not a cure for male UTIs but can help prevent recurrent UTIs in men. This article discusses its efficacy, side effects, and best products.
- UTIs are much less common in males than females due to anatomical differences and other factors.
- Cranberry juice is not a cure for UTIs but can help reduce the risk of recurrent UTIs in men.
- Cranberry juice boosts the immune system, prevents bacteria from adhering to the urinary tract, and flushes out bacteria and other harmful substances.
- Common side effects of consuming cranberry juice in men include an upset stomach, diarrhea, headaches, and allergic reactions.
- When selecting cranberry juice for UTI prevention, it is best to look for cranberry juices made from fresh cranberries, without added sugars and preservatives.
 UTI in males: Risk factors, why it differs from females.
Males are less likely to get UTI than females due to several factors such as:
- Longer urethra: the male urethra is about five times longer than the female urethra (making it difficult for the bacteria to reach the urinary bladder).
- Dry periurethral environment: Moisture is a good medium for bacteria growth and mobility. The male urethra opening is always dry (unlike females).
- Males have a prostate: the prostate secretes antibacterial substances that fight UTIs in males.
So, Why do males get a UTI?
Males are not completely immune to UTIs, although they are less likely to get them. The risk factors that increase the chances of males getting UTIs to include:
- Diabetes: Diabetes can increase urine sugar levels, leading to a UTI.
- Kidney stones: The presence of kidney stones can increase the chances of getting a UTI.
- Use of catheters: The use of catheters can increase the risk of a UTI as it can introduce bacteria into the bladder.
- Weak immune system: This can make it difficult for the body to fight off the infection.
- Prostate enlargement: This can obstruct urine flow, allowing bacteria to accumulate and cause a UTI.
- Poor hygiene: Not cleaning the genital area properly can lead to the accumulation of bacteria and a UTI.
- Anatomical abnormalities in the male urogenital system.
- Lack of circumcision.
It is not typical for men to get recurrent UTIs. If you are getting frequent UTIs, you should work with your doctor to determine the cause.
Possible causes of recurrent UTI in males include.”
- The suppressed immune system as in HIV patients.
- Multiple urinary stones or stones cause urinary obstruction.
- Diabetes mellitus.
- Anatomical abnormalities (such as enlarged prostate, fistulas, etc.).
- Uncircumcised males and poor hygiene
 Efficacy of Cranberry juice for UTI in males.
Cranberry is not effective for UTI Treatment.
As we mentioned before, UTIs are very rare in men. Moreover, the recurrent form of UTIs is even less common.
Cranberry is NOT a cure for UTI. Its use is limited to the PREVENTION of future UTIs.
Don’t take cranberry for active (current) UTIs, as it is ineffective.
Cranberry juice can be used for the prevention of recurrent UTIs in men.
Recurrent UTIs in adult men are often predisposed by major risk factors such as obstructive uropathy, immunological diseases, etc.
There is not much research about using cranberry juice to prevent UTI in men, as most research is directed toward women.
However, Cranberry can also be used for UTI prevention in men who are at higher risk of recurrent UTIs.
Here is a summary of the evidence about cranberry juice and supplements for UTI prevention:
- A 2017 Meta-analysis study concluded that women who use cranberry supplement or juice has a 26% lower risk of UTI recurrence.
- A 2018 review study recommended more in-depth, well-designed clinical trials to ensure that cranberry effectively prevents UTIs. However, the same review study stated that cranberries (such as Ocean Spray cranberry Juice) are safe to use as a complementary remedy to prevent recurrent UTIs.
How does it work?
Cranberry juice is believed to help reduce the risk of UTI in both men and women by several mechanisms. These include:
- Cranberry juice is rich in antioxidants and helps boost the immune system.
- Cranberry juice contains proanthocyanidins, which stop bacteria from adhering to the urinary tract walls.
- Cranberry juice helps maintain the normal acidity of the urine, making it difficult for bacteria to survive in the urinary tract.
- Cranberry juice helps flush out bacteria and other harmful substances from the urinary tract.
 Side effects of cranberry juice for men.
Cranberry juice is generally considered safe for most people, but it can cause some side effects in a few people. In men, the most common side effects of consuming cranberry juice include the following:
- Upset stomach
- Allergic reactions
It is important to note that cranberry juice is acidic. It may irritate the stomach and worsen heartburn or reflux symptoms. It is best to drink cranberry juice with meals or after meals to reduce the effect of acidity.
It is also important to check with your doctor if you are taking any medications before consuming cranberry juice. Some medications may interact with the components of cranberry juice and cause adverse effects.
 Best cranberry juice for UTI in males.
When selecting the best cranberry juice for UTI in males, it is important to look for cranberry juices made from fresh cranberries, without added sugars and preservatives.
Organic cranberry juices are the best option as they are less likely to contain these additives. Additionally, some cranberry juices may contain added vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, which can help boost the immune system and reduce the risk of UTIs.
It is also important to check the label for the amount of cranberry juice in the product, as some products may contain more water than cranberry juice.
The table below illustrates the common cranberry juice formulations that you can use for men.
|CRANBERRY JUICE TYPE (Ocean Spray Brand)
|DOSE FOR UTI PREVENTION
|TOTAL CALORIES (Per 8 Oz or 240 mL).
|Original Cranberry Juice Cocktail(unsweetened).
|8-16 FL OZ. OR 240-470 mL Per day.
|100% cranberry juice blend (Unsweetened).
|Cranberry juice cocktail with Calcium.S
|Cranberry juice cocktail with lime.
|Diet cranberry Juice.
|Same Dose (but less calories).
|Diet cranberry juice with lime
|Light Cranberry Juice
|Pure Unsweetened cranberry juice
|3 FL OZ per day (90 mL) “Manufacturer label.”
|60 Cal/ 8 FL OZ (or 22.5 Cal/3 FL OZ).
- Written by a doctor.
MD, Internal Medicine and Nephrology specialist.
Dr. Esraa A. MagidAuthor